Workshop: Getting started with Elm - Ghent
About this event
What is Elm?
And last but not least, the Elm architecture is based on simplicity, so that we can just focus on solving the problem at hand and don’t have to spend time figuring out how to organise our code.
- You’ll know the basic principles of functional programming
- You’ll be able to work with types and all the Elm basics
- You’ll be able to build a simple web app / game with Elm.
This workshop will teach you how to build a simple web app/game starting from zero knowledge of the Elm programming language. However, you do need to be comfortable with the concepts of programming, HTML and CSS. Oh and there are Pokémon involved!
- You'll need to be familiar with the concepts of programming, such as variables and functions. (to be clear, this is not suited for people who’ve never programmed before)
- You’ll need HTML & CSS knowledge
- A good mood 😉
Our awesome instructor: Steven Vandevelde
Steven is a Belgium based functional programmer, working for a Canadian based company called MetaLab. He specialises in Elm, Haskell and Elixir, is fixated on making code as readable as possible and spends a lot of time on building a decentralised music player. When he’s not coding, he digs into reading philosophy books, studying Nikola Tesla’s readings of electrical engineering and playing Destiny 2.
What's included in the ticket price?
The ticket price includes the event fee + food during the event and a small part will be added to our donation pool to cover some of the community expenses and future event costs.
You will gain access to our the learning materials that have been created specifically for this workshop. ✨ And, after the event you can still contact the instructor and ask questions related to the workshop.